Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Half Assed?

So I am making my bed today, and I didn't take the whole sheet and ONE of the 5,000 covers we sleep with at night off. I am trying to make it look good though, and the term (Often used, but I am still unsure why) half ass-ed comes to mind. I for one hate 1/2 ass-ing things....I like to put the whole ass in it. "Go big or stay home" I always say, which is also a perfect pun here.
So I got to thinking about the phrase....Why when something is 1/2 done or not done perfectly do we say it is 1/2 ass-ed? When something is done by all the rules we don't say we Whole Ass-ed it and it looks great! Is Whole Ass going to take the place of Ace-ing a job?
So maybe I will surf the web and try to find the origin of 1/2 Ass, then again maybe not....gives me something to ponder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay - as a librarian I felt like it was my duty to look this up (at least to google it ;-)
From http://www.rootsweb.com/~genepool/meanings.htm
Here ya go:

Half Assed

We've all heard the phrase that something was done "half-ass," but few people stop to wonder what such a ridiculous expression could possibly mean. The term "half-ass" evolved from "half-adz." An adz is an axelike tool with a curved blade used for shaping wood. If you were wealthy and paid top-dollar for a new fireplace, the mantle would be shaped using an adz in the front as well as the back side, which isn't visible. However, if you weren't wealthy and wanted to save money, you could have only the front visible portion of the mantle shaped, this cheaper job being a "half-adz" job.

It's after 5 a I"m on 2nd drink so I didn't check the source - but sounds good. And I know - I"m a big old geek . . . Carrick ;-)